Thursday 30 April 2009

Society and well-being

Lets get started with this concept.
Now this is how I planned this blog to work: I have the theme "Well-being" which has enough different aspects to be nearly inexhaustible.

As I mentioned in the first post, the grand scheme here is to use a mind map to direct this blog.
For mind mapping I use a friendly application called Freemind which is free and open source.

Mind mapping is all about nodes so the first thing to do is to start moving. Now to the tricky part, or leap of faith if you like.

My argument is that Well-being is connected to the concept of "Society". Needless to say, we are social beings, and our well-being is connected to our relation to the beings around us in one way or the other.

Now for most of us society is something we are born into, and live and die in. However we can exist outside society, and several philosophers have spoken for the benefits of separating from society (e.g. Henry David Thoreau).

So now we have this mind-map to move further down from:

Every post will be dealing with a node from the main theme of well-being. The "higher" up we are the more general the posts will be, mainly uncovering the next level on the branch. Then I will move down the branches, going into more and more obscure detail.

Also I would love to get input on where to go, and of course comments in regards to what I am blogging about. This is where fuzzy logic sets in (and I will do my best to live up to its standards).

Fuzzy logic implies that different notions of something need not be opposed to each other because very few things are a simple for or against.

One simple example would be that for any given human entity, there are times were being outside society is well-being and other times where being part of society gives the greatest feeling of well-being. The point is that the two are not mutually exclusive, and may even coexist in one person simultaneously.

No comments:

Post a Comment